Geophysics Seminar Schedule (2020-2021), (2019-2020)
Joubin-James Lectures and short courses (2018-2019)
Research Interests (primarily in Seismology)
- Numerical simulations of 3-D seismic wave propagation in heterogeneous medium based upon the spectral-element method (SEM).
- Moment-tensor and finite-fault inversions using 3-D Green's functions for regional and global earthquakes.
- Tomographic inversions based upon 3D initial models and 3D sensitivity kernels for frequency-dependent measurements at both the global and regional scales (i.e., adjoint tomography or full-waveform inversion).
- Adjoint tomography of multi-component ambient noise-correlation data.
- High-resolution seismic imaging of scattered waves based on adjoint method.
- Nonlinear inversion/optimization methods; model resolution analysis.
- Whole-mantle tomography based on kernel databases computed for 1D reference models.
- Microseismics and induced seismicity: event detection, source localization, mechanism inversions.
Jun 2007 -- Aug 2008: Green Scholar (Postdoc), Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego |
Jun 2006 -- May 2007: Assistant Scientist,
Seismological Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
July 2000 -- May 2006: Ph. D. in Geophysics, California Institute of Technology
Advisor: Jeroen Tromp
Spectral-element Simulations of 3D Seismic Wave Propagation
and Applications to Source and Structural Inversions
July 1995 -- Jun 2000: B.S. in Geophysics,
Department of Earth and Space Sciences and
Department of SCGY,
University of Science and Technology of China, China
Current* and former group members
(Computer Handbook, Research Handbook)
M.Sc. students: Gang Yang (2020)*, Talha Quadri (2020), Mostafa Khorshidi (2019), Na Wang (2015), Lin Zheng (2013), Mehdi (Sherveen) Ghofrani Tabar (2009)
Ph.D. students: Ting Lei (2020-)*, Tianshi Liu (2018-)*, Afeez Popoola (2019-)*, Xin Song (2013-2019), Chuangxin Lin (2013-2019)
Postdocs: Bin He (2020-)*, Kai Wang (2018-2019), Piero Basini (2012-2014), Ping Tong (2012-2014, now at NTU)
Bahareh Doroudiani (2020, USRA), Lyndon Boone (2020), Jia Yoong Chong (2019), Yiru Zhou (2018, now at UofA), Qi Zhao (2012, now faculty at HK Polytech U), Alex Bing (2010)
Visiting grad students: Rezvan Mortezanejad (2019-)*, Liang Ding (2018-)*, Shan Wu (2018), Chao Zhang (2016, now at Hohai), Changyi Yu (2016, now at TPEI), Qiang Zhang (2014-2016, now at IWHR), Felix Halpaap (2015), Jiupeng Hu (2015), Xueyuan Huang (2014, now at BTBU), Yunfeng Chen (2014)
Visiting scholars: Majid Bagheri (2019), Farzam Yamini Fard (2018), Langping Zhang (IES, CEA), Biao Guo (IG, CEA), Xueting Zhang (2013, HDU), Weifeng Yang (2013, CUMT), Shu-Huei Hung (all the time)